I could eat this every day and is ridiculously easy to make. I found the recipe on Pinterest but it’s so easy that I tossed the recipe after the first time I did it. It only takes about 15 minutes of prepping and making and then you have a light, tasty, and healthy no-cook meal for a hot summer night.
Here’s stuff you’ll want to ahead of time.
- Get yourself some rice paper rolls. In Louisville, I found these at the St. Matthews Kroger (a.k.a. “Yuppie Kroger”) in the international section. There are like 50 of these little circular sheets in a container.
- Stock your fridge with fresh veggies. I use lettuce (red romaine, romaine, whatever you have on hand… but probably not baby spinach), carrots, avocado, cucumber.
- Gather a bunch of basil and mint from your garden (or buy it at the Yuppie Kroger).
- Purchase Frank’s Sweet Chili Sauce (or make your own dipping sauce… I’m not that hard core).
Then when it’s Rollup time… My husband and I each eat two rollups a piece.
- Wash a bunch of lettuce, your basil, and mint. I use about 1-2 pieces of lettuce per roll, about 3 basil leaves, and about 3-4 mint leaves.
- Chop up your cucumber, carrots, and avocado. For the cucumber and carrots, thin sticks about 4 inches long would be ideal but we just chopped and it was allright.
- Set up a wide shallow bowl with warm water and a clean, flat, kitchen towel alongside all your filling goodies.
- Dip one piece of rice paper in the water for a few seconds so it goes from being crispy to being flimsy. Lay it on the towel. Repeat with a second piece and lay it directly on top of the 1st.
- Place lettuce, basil, mint, cucumber, carrots, and avocado in roll in the front-center. Leave room around the edges for rolling/wrapping, like you’re making a burrito.
- Roll-up! Lift the front part of the roll (this stuff is sticky and sort of stuck to my towel, but it pulls off if you are gentle). Bring the paper up and over your filling and try to tuck all the fillings as tightly into your roll as possible. Then lift each side up and pull it towards the center, closing up the ends of your roll. Then finally, continue rolling towards the back of your towel so you have one rollup. Repeat.
- Serve with a small bowl of dipping sauce and enjoy!
Nom nom. Now I want to eat these RIGHT NOW.